Friday, August 22, 2008

Determining Where and When to Start

The official first day of school for PA Cyber was August 18th for Calvert students. The virtual classes begin on September 2nd. Our addition is slated to be mostly done Tuesday, August 26th. I didn't really want to start classes until then anyway, since our youngest starts Kindergarten that same day. When I called the school to ask if the 18th was set in stone, no one wanted to give a definitive answer. Apparently, as long as we log our 180 school days by the end of the year, it's up to us how we go about it. So, we will have our first "official" day of school on the 26th.

This week we had some 'sort of' school days. We did some pre testing. The first chapter of spelling was no problem...so spelling is finished for this week. Now, I know that was not the kind of challenging material I want to be offering for my child. I am planning on pre testing the bulk of the Spelling within the first month of school and then moving on to some other materials. A friend found a link for me to a Teacher's Guide to the Fellowship of the Ring.

http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/readers_guides/lotr/fellowring.shtml

There are comprehension questions, vocabulary words and discussion and essay topics for each chapter. Since our son has started reading the book in the last week, this seems like a great possibility for us. We may use the vocab words as spelling words. If they are too difficult, I'll step it down and use the reading words provided by Calvert. They are more challenging than the spelling and we will come across them in the other materials.

We also did a little math pre testing. The Calvert math book comes with a review and test at the end of each chapter. I used the review as a pre test. Out of the 10 lessons from chapter one, there were two concepts we needed to solidify. We spent a little time one day working on one and will finish the other Monday. On the first day of school, we will do the chapter test. None of the reviews or tests from the book are sent in for grading. At the end of lesson 20 (day 20) students take tests in each subject that are sent in to the school. We will do the first math test by the end of our first week of school. We are allowed to send more than one math test in at a time, so when we send our Lesson 20 packet at the end of September, we will send in as many as we have completed. I'm guessing we will have two or three done. After that, there are a few concepts that will be new material so our pace may slow.

This week our child was required to complete two online pre-assement tests. I spent a few hours convinced that I would certainly go crazy during this school year. While taking the computer test, my son was incapable of sitting still for more than 5 seconds. When he wasn't bouncing out of his seat, he was chatting away about the questions...even when I left the room! It will be interesting to see what kinds of scores come back. I learned two things from this process. I will absolutely have to get an exercise ball for him to sit on during class ( a suggestion from at least two friends with similar kids) and the possible need to play music while he is working. My husband concentrates best with music playing. I'm guessing my son will be similarly motivated.

Overall, there was learning this week regardless of the lack of a true classroom. We completed a weeks worth of spelling, almost 20 days worth of math, began reading a book that will challenge and expand his vocabulary and had a wonderful discussion about how to identify male and female daddy long legs while spitting watermelon seeds in the backyard. (I was the one who learned how to tell them apart, my son taught me!)

Now that's a school I can support!

No comments: