Thursday, January 15, 2009

Socialization

I used to be very annoyed when someone would find out that we were about to pull our son out of traditional school and they would say, "Aren't you worried about socialization?" I would smile and say, "Not at all."

This week JT told us that he's lonely. We have had 3 weeks of happenings that have kept us from our usual out-of-the-house activities. We had sickness and bad weather. So, we have been a little high on the cabin fever scale. When we aren't trapped at home, JT has piano lessons, cub scouts and church activities that take up 4 days a week, so you can't say he isn't being 'socialized'.

I started panicking and thinking he'd be asking to go back to brick and mortar school any day now. But when he talked with my husband, JT said he likes being at home for school, but misses his friends. A fellow homeschooling mom comforted me by reminding me that being 'lonely' is different than lack of socialization. Everyone can get lonely. That is easily fixed by spending time with other people.

I made a few phone calls the next day. We are now trying to decide if JT will start both Kung Fu and drawing classes before summer starts. I don't want to go overboard, but I also want to make sure he has a chance to get out of the house on a regular basis. I enjoy being at home and would make a happy hermit. I have to remember that not everyone thrives on that alone time.

The good thing is, he doesn't want to go back to the way things used to be. We just need to stay alert to any signs that things need improvement. It's a learning experience for all of us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I seem to be commenting a lot, but your blog is on my reader and you happen to be striking some chords at the moment.

I love how homeschooling works for my boys. However, one aspect gets under my skin every now and then. Just when I think I've covered all the bases in terms of curriculum, socialization, worktime vs. playtime, etc., something happens to leave me wondering all over again.

It nice to see I'm not the only one.

Annie

Cyber Momma said...

Feel free to comment as much as you would like! My goal here has been to help other parents decide if something other than brick and mortar could serve their children. The more comments, the better.