Thursday, February 12, 2009

Learning to Write

This week I have been attempting to teach JT how to put together a decent composition. He has had many composition assignments from the school. Generally, these assignments have been things like, "My Pet" or other journal-type writings. I wanted him to learn how to do some research and put his thoughts together on paper. I told him to pick one of the people we learned about in his history text last week and write a short biography on that person. JT chose Robert E. Lee.

We started out finding some good information online and a book from the library. I gave him the pack of index cards and told him to write a separate idea on each card. He needed a little direction throughout the process. Next we sat down and I helped him split his cards into groups. Then we worked together to write an outline based on the cards. At that point I said, "Number your cards in the order that matches your outline and then you will need to write the report." He needed some encouragement and then a little pushing to get through this part. Today he wrote his last paragraph for the rough draft. Tomorrow we will look for spelling mistakes. Monday he is going to type up the report.

This is not a major report. It will have 5 paragraphs total. I just really wanted to help him know that learning the material does you little good if you don't have the ability to share what you have learned. I think more kids need to learn this process earlier in their schooling. It often isn't until late middle or early high school when these skills are taught. It requires a slightly different way of thinking. I hope by beginning early, JT will have it easier when he reaches college and needs to be able to communicate in this way.

Now if he'd only stop fighting me when I ask him to write in cursive!

No comments: