Thursday, May 21, 2009

So Close....

I really can not believe we are so close to the end of our school year! We only have 3 school days left in our house before we leave the realms of 3rd grade.

We had our GIEP meeting with the cyber school on the 13th. It's kind of a joke to me now to take part in these meetings. When JT was in brick and mortar school, I would prepare my test results and other relevant data to defend my position. Now I say, "Sounds fine." It's not that the school is doing much to assist my child in getting an appropriate education, it's that they don't prevent him from having one. By allowing me the freedom to tweek what they offer, they provide him with opportunities he would never have had in his former setting. While I am sad that they can't see how much better they could make things, I am happy that this works well for us.

One thing that did come out of the meeting...I had to fill out a survey asking about strengths, weaknesses and goals for the future. One of the things I mentioned was that JT is more than likely 'below level' in organizational and study skills. I asked if they had anything to offer that I could use to help him work on those skills. The team agreed to sign him up for a Lincoln Interactive class called "Exploring Study Skills". This class is a self-paced enrichment course. He will have until Dec of 2009 to complete it. I like the fact that this is graded work. He will have some accountability in a subject in which he does not excel. We also need to learn more about the technology involved for the interactive classes. Up until now we have really had little to do with the 'cyber' aspect of our cyberschool! Our IS told me if he decides he doesn't like it, we can always drop the course.

We also made another new committment this week. JT will be taking violin lessons this summer! We have talked about trying a new instrument for some time (he already plays piano and a bit of guitar) but had put off the decision. He only has 3 piano lessons through the summer months, so we thought it might be a good time to try something new. We signed up for ten 30-minute classes at the local university. Now we need to make a road trip to the closest place that rents violins (45 minutes away).

Next week, I plan to blog about the rest of our summer education and fun plans...and then take my own summer sabbatical until July. My daughter is getting married in mid-June and once school is out, we will be in the heat of the final planning. After the dust settles, I will be cleaning and making improvements to the classroom for next year!

What am I going to do with myself with all this free time? :-)

1 comment:

Annie said...

We finished school this afternoon! I just need to have the boys sign and date a few pages, but all the work is done, including the lesson plans. By some odd coincidence, we inherited a new six foot bookcase from an office this week. I decided to put it in the dining room which has increasingly become our homeschool room. (You can tell how great a cook I am. :) ) Well, the advent of the end of school and that darn bookcase sent me in a frenzy of euphoric activity this afternoon. I've shoveled all of the homeschool stuff out of my office, tossed things I just don't need, recycled a garbage bag of paperwork, and made room once again for my paints, knitting, and books. I feel like a new person. I feel like I've reclaimed part of my life!

I hope JT enjoys the violin. It sounds like a fun adventure. Good luck as well with the wedding. Although this isn't your last post before your sabbatical, I will miss your posts!