Thursday, September 17, 2009

Some Improvement

After the insanity of last week, this week was relatively peaceful. We put in several productive days for both boys. EM had a bit of a cold/cough most of the week, so he was not always a pleasant participant. JT enthusiastically completed a rough draft for a composition! However, the promise to do the final copy the next day should have been greeted with skepticism. He only wasted half a day resisting that one. I guess that could be counted as progress.

EM spent several hours in front of the laptop completing some testing for the cyber school. They employ the DORA/DOMA online assessments. This was NOT an enjoyable experience for either of us. Sitting still is really not in EM's skill set. As far as I can tell, the purpose of this testing is to determine if any early intervention is needed for the almighty PSSA tests. I am really wishing I had waited until the compulsory education age of 8 in PA to enroll EM in a formal school program. I could have happily educated him in my own way for the next 2 years. Instead, we will be jumping through the hoops. Lesson learned.

I have a few things I found/read this week that I want to share. First.... I found a wonderful book that is providing loads of fun activities. Exploratopia. In my opinion, this is a must buy book. We are currently working to mummify a hot dog thanks to this book!

I have added a blog to my following list: Art Projects for Kids , thanks to Annie from Learn at Every Turn for that one!

I also highly recommend the blog The Pioneer Woman. This post about socialization is a must read for any homeschoolers or even more for those who have doubts about homeschooling.

Tomorrow EM will spend the day with my dad as his teacher. Last year, JT went with him one day a week. This year the boys will alternate weeks to spend some time away from me and with their grandparents. It will not give me the free time I had last year, since I will still have one boy with me. It will offer me a chance to get that one on one time with the boys that is so hard to come by during our busy school days. I have promised that if the homebound boy helps me with the errands and grocery shopping in the morning, I will completely devote the rest of the day to an activity of their choice. Since JT's idea of a good time is laying on the couch reading together or watching a nature video, I think I should have fun tomorrow!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you for the kind tipping of your hat my direction. I'm glad you are finding that blog useful as well.

The socialization post was dead on. I'm always surprised by that question. I would think the first thing most people would comment on is the quality of the children's education. But, no! It's always the knee-jerk socialization issue. It's like they never thought it would occur to us to consider that issue. *SIGH* I'll never understand it. Then again, I'm too busy driving my kids around three counties to their various social engagements to have time to contemplate it. . . .

Unknown said...

I forgot to read the posting so today I got caught up. I think that EM might be easier to school. The trick is to keep him interested. I need to learn to back off and lrt them do all the work under close supervision.