Friday, July 18, 2008

Waiting.

We still hadn't heard from our IS (Instructional Supervisor) at PA Cyber, so I called to see what was the hold up. They are still waiting for the school nurse to approve our son. He's entering 3rd grade. All 3rd graders in PA need to have a dental exam form filled out. I haven't sent it in yet, since we already have a check up scheduled for the beginning of August. Apparently we have to wait until that is sent in to get the ball rolling.
I am anxious to get my hands on the materials so I can have time to see what we will be doing. However, it probably is best that I don't have more to do right now. The addition is moving along nicely. The roof is on and the inside walls are framed. No windows yet. Next week will be the electrical, plumbing, windows and deck. Then we move onto the really messy stuff...drywall. I've been running our son to a Cartooning Camp that he signed up for this whole week. He loves drawing, so it seemed like a good summer activity. I could do without the extra driving, but he's having a good time.
We have started collecting other educational tools for the classroom as well. I won an auction on Ebay for a lot of Eyewitness books. We already have tons of books in the house, but there's always room for 15 more! I also placed an order with Mindware http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTORE/Home/HomePage.aspx?
and Educator's Outlet http://www.educatorsoutlet.com/
They are both great websites for parents who want to supplement their children's learning at home. I love the clearance section on Educator's Outlet!

Only a little over a month left until we dive into this new endeavor! I am still excited, but also nervous about the responsibility. The occasional negative comment by well meaning friends adds to that concern. I know that whenever someone tries something outside of the norm, they are going to encounter resistance. When we first made our decision, I was telling everyone about our exciting new plans. Now I just keep it to myself as much as possible. It's what our family has decided is our best option. I don't need anyone else's approval.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog from a comment you left on Unwrapping the Gifted Blog.

I would like to invite you and other homeschoolers of gifted children to join Enrichment 2.0 www.enrichment2.0.ning.com a social network of educators and parent/homeschoolers of gifted children who are interested in collaborating programs.

I also offer enrichment and standards based classes for GT kids both homeschooled and in public schools. www.giftedkidsnetwork.com

Michelle