Thursday, July 10, 2008

Space is at a premium.


Most people who decide to cyber school generally just find a quiet corner somewhere in their house to allow their child to do their school work. Not me. I decide we should add a two story addition!

This was actually a plan we had from the time we first bought our home. Our kitchen is a smallish, eat in style kitchen typical in a ranch home. The house we lived in previously had been built in 1920 and had a huge kitchen and dining room. The downsizing was irritating, but we loved the location and decided to just deal with it. I would occasionally mention the need to add a "real" dining room someday. Once we decided to cyber school, I knew I had my chance!

I believe one of the great aspects of cyber schooling is that you can do it anywhere. Of the families I know that do cyber school, most use a desk in a living room or family room. One friend took her previously unused formal dining room and turned that into cyber central for her 3 children. At an information session I went to for PA Cyber, a teacher told us about some of her students. One girl had a father who was a very successful businessman. He spent a lot of time traveling in his private jet. She would travel with him, laptop ready for school anywhere, anytime. One student was in the hospital waiting for a bone marrow transplant. This child needed to be kept away from others physically, but could still interact with classmates through cyber schooling. What incredible opportunities technology has opened up for learning!

So...do we need a new classroom added to our home? Probably not. I'm enjoying myself imagining and planning what it will be like. Ultimately, what will make the difference for my child will be the opportunity to immerse himself in learning for the first time in his school career. I know that could be accomplished anytime, anywhere when he is given the freedom to dive in and drink it up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good things always happen to those who have the patience. Life is what happens while we wait so it's better to move ahead focusing on the details.