Thursday, September 25, 2008

5 weeks down!

Time has been flying by in our house. I spend most of my hours either teaching or planning what to teach or having conversations about teaching. I will certainly enjoy all of our holiday breaks this year.

This last Friday our youngest spent his first full day schooling with us. Up until now, he has been in school (private K, 3 days a week) or with another child care provider most of our school hours. I was avoiding the time he would need to be integrated into our little system. Things went much more smoothly than I could imagine! Granted, we didn't get as much 'hard-core' learning done that day, but it wasn't bad for a first attempt. We started the day with Geography. JT and I had been studying the 13 colonies. I had E (3rd child now dubbed) work on putting our giant USA floor map together while we were working on the colonies. During math, JT learned about Roman Numerals while E used a yard stick as a number line and did simple addition problems. We also had art...easy stuff for mom! We did a Science experiment with yeast and went on a bike ride late in the afternoon. The only time all day I had to send E to find something to keep him occupied, was during JT's Spelling test.

I know next year it won't be as easy when I actually have a lesson plan I need to follow for both boys. If E continues to progress at the rate he seems to be going, he should be reading independently by then. That would make things much easier. If either of them could be told to read something while waiting for my attention, I could juggle things a little better. Fortunately, I have almost a whole year to dread that step!

Thanks to a friend who took pity on our caterpillar situation, we now have two Black Swallowtail caterpillars living in our jar! We are hoping these guys will put on a real show for us. They are feasting on dill and slowly turning green. JT said they are, "turning into pickles". :-)


No comments: