Thursday, November 19, 2009

Hands on Science

Today we took a field trip! We went to the Whitaker Center in Harrisburg. This was a cyber school sponsored trip. We were able to go to a 3D IMAX movie, Under the Sea. It's been a long time since I went to a 3D movie. WOW! I was blown away by what they can do with that technology. The boys couldn't stop reaching out to try and touch the animals.

We spent the rest of the day in the science center. They have loads of hands-on science exhibits. I realized that these museums may be wasted on the young. I wanted to stop and read and try everything. The boys ran this way and that, starting something, spotting something new...never finishing what they started. The only thing that kept them in one place was the hurricane wind tunnel. 90 mph winds have a way of doing that!

Overall it was a good day. We picked up new knowledge. We had fun as a family. The cyber school paid for part of it. I've decided I need a new plan for the rest of the year, take advantage of EVERY field trip offered. If this is our last year with them, I might as well milk it for all it's worth. Up until now, we had gone on only a couple of their sponsored events. I was afraid of taking too much time away from the necessary busy work. Now that I have lost most of my concern over those things, we are free to learn at our leisure.

Learning...it's such a funny thing. Sometimes we try to fit it into such a small container. Learning is done in a classroom. Learning requires repetition and proof of mastery. Learning must have structure. Right now, at this moment, my 8 year old is in his room reading "Blood, Bones and Body Bits" from the Horrible Science series. He keeps yelling facts to me from his bedroom, "Mom! Did you know you actually only need 10% of your liver to survive?" "Mom! Did you know that as the cells in your mouth die, they end up in your spit, so you actually end up eating yourself when you swallow?" I'm guessing he's learning...

No comments: