Thursday, January 21, 2010

Looking to the Future

This week I started really thinking what life would be like without the cyberschool. It left me a bit weak in the knees.

What if I can't do this on my own!?

Part of this concern came from the fact that JT was working on an assignment in his Grammar and Usage book. I really like this book! It is a Calvert book. From what I can find, it will be difficult to buy another copy anywhere. Then I started thinking of other books Calvert provides that I like. Luckily, those are readily available on the web. What is kind of funny about the whole thing is the fact that so far, EM shows no signs of learning in the same ways that JT does. I am sure books that worked for JT will more than likely be a flop with EM. Maybe I should also mention that I currently have 2 large bookcases FULL of school materials that have never been opened by a child. I might just have enough there to educate several dozen children.

After a chat (maybe more of a "How in the world am I going to do this!!" rant) with a homeschooling friend, I realized part of my problem is that I know very few people in my area who homeschool without a cyber. I have no support network. So, this morning I went to work to find myself some friends. I found a website for a local homeschoolers group. I made a contact and am now receiving their group emails. Based on their blog, they seem to have a decent number of members and offer many activities every month. They even have gym days at a local community center. Hooray! More socialization! Just what we needed.... (see last week's post) :-)

Another good point my friend made was that this doesn't have to be permanent. If it doesn't work, we can always go back. I'm sure the cyber school will be more than happy to welcome us (and our tax dollars) back into their over testing, rigid and controlling arms.

See...I won't miss them.

Nope.

No comments: