Thursday, May 20, 2010

Summer Plans

I finally sat down and outlined what I would like to accomplish this summer. I have some goals for myself and some for the boys. Let's start with me...

Because the cyber school misunderstood a request I made for them to order 5th grade "MATH ONLY" for JT in December, I have the advantage of having ALL of the 2nd and 5th grade Calvert curriculum in my home at the START of summer break. Remember last year? I have promised myself that I will spend no less than 5 hours a week working my way through that material this summer. I have definitely felt a lack of organized planning on my part this year. Part of that may have been having to coordinate both boys' education for the first time. I really believe if I had invested more time immersed in what they would be working on in advance, I could have done a better job.

Along with that goal, I will (remind me that I said this later, would you?) I WILL find ways to incorporate the ton of enrichment materials I have bought in the last 3 years into our daily classroom experiences.

I will also clean out the old books that are no longer needed for the boys.


Now for the goals for the kids.

JT expressed a need to continue with some form of routine throughout the summer. We worked out a very simple schedule to keep us in a learning state of mind:

1. We plan to do some form of math twice a week. Whether it is through games, websites or workbooks, we need to keep up with the math facts.

2. We will have a new spelling list every two weeks. For the summer, we will introduce the words on Monday in week one, use Spelling city and other fun learning tools with a final test the following Friday. (JT specifically requested the continuing spelling lists)

3. We are creating journals now that the boys will use to record insects they observe this summer. We are also keeping a journal for the birds we see in the yard.

4. We will be working on one art project a week. Art has definitely been something we don't do enough. I'm hoping if we really get in the habit this summer it will carry through in the fall.

5. Our group of friends that participated in the chess classes we had in our home last year seem interested in starting up again. We plan to try to coordinate times once school lets out. We also want to start up our Summer Science group again. I hope to meet at least 4 times this summer.

6. My parents have a swimming pool and only live about 5 minutes away from us. Last year, the weather was not the best for swimming. I hope to get the boys over there 3 times a week if possible. Neither of them can swim at this point. I want to remedy that this summer. They also enjoy riding their bikes on my parents' long driveway.

7. I absolutely MUST set time limits for computer exposure this summer. We just purchased Lego Rock Band for the Wii. I can see all of us (especially me) spending too much time with that new toy.

8. Finally, having a planned reading time daily. JT reads in his free time without the need for encouragement. I want to start moving EM in the same direction. Plus, I want reading time for ME!

Today I took EM for an appointment for his teeth. He was telling our dentist about his adventures in the backyard. The doctor said, "I am so glad to hear that you play the way a little boy should...outside in the yard, climbing trees and getting dirty!" I had noticed in the last couple years, that my children seem to be some of the only kids that really spend a large amount of time just playing. So many kids are tied up in sports and other activities...they never have time to just go out and explore. I am hoping my goals for this summer will not get in the way of their most important task...playing...like little boys should.

No comments: