Friday, April 3, 2009

Field Trips

For a couple of months, my dad has been picking JT up Wednesday morning and keeping him for the day. This has really given me a chance to recharge. It also gives JT many opportunities that he wouldn't necessarily have with me.

Last week they went on a little adventure... First they went for breakfast. Food is extremely important to my son. He is a very skinny kid, but eats like a horse. I think his constant movement burns off all those extra calories.

After the restaurant, they headed out to a local cheese factory. JT had a tour of the facilities and was able to try some fresh Swiss cheese.

Next they went to a small area airport and had a tour. JT learned about the planes and came home with a small, wooden glider.

When I started this new phase in our lives, I had many plans. We wouldn't sit in a classroom all day. We would go on exciting, educational adventures..... I'm still hoping to get to that point someday. Right now, I feel like I need to stick with something that 'feels' like school. Our schedule for the Calvert curriculum should allow us to finish all of their materials for third grade sometime around the end of April. In order to reach our 180 school days this year, I will continue schooling through the end of May. I'm starting to look into a few one day field trips for those days. I want JT to have fun this last month of school. Maybe that will make him work harder next year, knowing we could have those same opportunities if we put in the time and effort earlier in the year. In the meantime, there's always Wednesday!

No comments: