Thursday, April 23, 2009

Why Are Text Books So Boring?

Today we were reading one of our last chapters for Calvert science. It covered our immune system. As usual, the book was not a very in depth study of the topic, so we turned to other sources. I remembered that the "You: The Owner's Manual" book by Dr. Mehmet Oz, had a comic strip covering how our immune system would attack Staphylococcus, and I figured JT would enjoy that more than the exciting 'diagram' in the text.

We started reading Chapter 9. "All throughout your body, you also have your own security systems to defend your body against intruders. Skin and bones protect your internal organs in car accidents and from errant golf balls, hair protects your scalp from UV rays, and eyelids protect your eyeballs from finger-poking friends." At this point, JT stops and says to me, "This is really funny!"

We spent over an hour reading through the entire chapter on the immune system. Not only was it funny, but full of good, solid teaching material. When we finished, JT completed a journal entry about what he had learned. While the entire book is not appropriate for some kids (a little too much detail on impotence!) I found much that I could use. Then I started thinking how much better kids could learn if all new material could be taught with a touch of humor. I know there are other good teaching books that are not text books out there...the 'Horrible Science' and 'Horrible History' series are just a few good examples. But what about the books from which we expect our kids to learn the bulk of their knowledge? Maybe when I have free time (in about 12 years...ha!) I'll have to embark on a mission to write educational and FUN textbooks!

We managed to squeeze in two field trips this week. One to the Children's Discovery Museum where JT experienced the many hands-on learning exhibits. He also got to pet a Tarantula. (I did not watch!) Later in the week we went to the Thomas Taber Museum in Williamsport. JT really liked the exhibits about the early inhabitants of PA. He also liked the wall murals of giant prehistoric bugs.

Finally, we registered our 5 year old with PA Cyber for first grade 2009-2010. I've started really thinking about how I will need to structure my days to make that work. Less classroom, more hands on, I believe. I also will need to have TONS of planned material I can pull out on the fly when one boy needs occupied while I cover a new concept with the other one. I like a challenge....but this one might change all of that!

1 comment:

Annie said...

You are so right about textbooks sucking the joy out of learning. We all want to keep our children's curiosity and passion for learning alive, but how could anything survive the onslaught of those dry texts?

At the same time, the more I let myself stray from the traditional methods, the more innovative and fun means I find to teach. We just have to keep looking, but at least they are there.

And good luck with next year. This was my first year of homeschooling my older two through the charter. It's been interesting at times, but not impossible.