Thursday, October 1, 2009

Motivation

First of all, the picture to the right is an ongoing project we have been playing with for the last two weeks. Naked eggs! We removed the shells from the eggs in vinegar (it took about 2 days). Then we took them out and felt them (lots of "eeewwws" with that). Now we are testing the permeability of their membranes. Salt water to the left, regular water in the center and corn syrup to the right. Of course, this is on the hutch in my dining room...

Motivation. How do you teach a child to be self-motivated? What if you yourself struggle with motivation issues? I used to be a bit more of a go-getter. I would have huge lists for each day of the week and would pat myself on the back after I crossed off each item. Now I have a vague idea each day that 'something should be done'. Schooling is always the priority. Because of that, I have lost some of my old structure. However, I still feel motivated to do things that need to be done and then...I do them. JT does not seem to feel that need for much of anything. Is this a trait that can be learned or is it mostly hereditary? I find myself saying things to him like, "This _____ (fill in the assignment) really needs to be done today. If you'd start now, we could do something fun in an hour." Nope. Does he not see the logic? No pain, no gain?

This year, one of my goals for JT is to help him do more independent work. I have been writing the workbook and reading assignments he has in a small notebook each evening for the next day. He is supposed to check the notebook and work his way through those assingments whenever I am not giving him one-on-one instruction. This has been successful some days. It just seems that he can see no positive benefit to working a little. That is something that worries me. Will he grow up to be a lazy bum?! It may seem a bit premature to be worrying if my 8 year old will be avoiding work 20 years from now, but it's the underlying attitude that seems troubling.

At the same time, EM is an orderly do-gooder. He enjoys working. All I need to do is say, "Finish that worksheet and I'll give you a sticker". Boom! He's done! He also leaps out of bed at the crack of dawn, makes his bed and gets dressed without being told. Where did those genes come from?

One more thing. This week I read an excellent article about homeschooling. Check it out. :-)

2 comments:

Annie said...

That is a great homeschooling article. Thank you for mentioning it. Actually, it's just what I needed tonight.

As for JT, all I can say is that I have two just like him, and the third will probably follow suit when the time comes. Some days are tough (as you will see in my latest post), but I really believe that these boys will turn out okay. Frankly, I'll bet when they decide it is time, they will be overachievers. They just need to find something they want. And I seriously doubt we can (or want to) rush that process.

Subadra said...

Hi Michelle,
I think I have visited your blog long time ago, but it is good to be back here. You have interesting thoughts on motivation.

I wanted to add a bit from my experience. Not sure if this is helpful. My kids are 11 and 9, and oldest has been in early college part time classes at the Univ since 9. My younger one takes some, but not at the levels of oldest. My oldest has always been self driven and had goals she wanted to see accomplished. She had issues with following someone else's guidelines and preferred to form her own. I used to grit my teeth and let it happen in whatever manner as per her ways. She was successful being so, though I am this kind of a rebellion myself from the norm. My ds likes short term goals and steps to take, much like his father. He will not see far into future, small increments:)

I think some kids a bit of structure and help initially to get them off of their feet to see the rewarding experience of what they have accomplished, to keep help them develop self motivation and drive. Some achieve it younger and some older.
And for some, there needs to be short term meaningful goals initially to learn that skill.

Child led learning may be a better path for them, as the spark comes from the child, no matter how small the increment is at the beginning. When the right need/spark happens, no one will be able to stop with that process of them achieving it...just my humble opinion

You are doing an amazing job already:)
-Subadra
http://bookslinksandmore.blogspot.com/