Friday, October 9, 2009

Refreshed

What a week!

Last Friday, we drove to the city to hear the Harrisburg Symphony perform. They have two shows a year for school students that are free. It's a wonderful program. The conductor spends a great deal of time speaking to the students between pieces and explaining what is happening. I only took JT to the performance. EM does not have the same intense love of music. He also has some sensitivity issues with loud noises, so I wasn't sure he would enjoy it. Later that evening, we went to a Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer and Zakir Hussain concert. Culture abounds!


Over the weekend I started the process of packing for a three day trip to Lake Arthur. We rented a cabin through the state park system. Even though it's a modern cabin, there seemed to be a ton of stuff we just MIGHT need on the trip. In between fits of packing, I was trying to look through both of the boys' lesson manuals and compact a full week of Calvert material into Monday at home, Tuesday through Thursday on the road and Friday at home. About the same time, I read a blog entry by the Pioneer Woman called October Homeschooling Blues. This post made me say, “HEY! That's us!”. Apparently I wasn't the only one having these feelings, since the comments were full of homeschoolers in the same boat. One of the commenters shared the fact that her family schools 6 weeks on, 1 week off. I looked at my lesson planner and realized we were heading into week 7 of this school year. I looked at that pile of workbooks and manuals I was trying to sort through. I looked at the heap of things I still needed to pack and I made a decision. We will now be schooling 6 weeks on and 1 week off! I put the manuals and school books away and declared a holiday.


When I pulled the calendar out and started counting weeks, I discovered that if we start in mid-August every year and follow the 6 to1 schedule, we will still finish a school year by June 1st. We will need to have one 5 week block and one 7 week block to fit Thanksgiving and Christmas in their proper locations. Otherwise all will be good.


Our vacation has been wonderful. In fact, I am in the cabin now with the lake right outside my door. We really only had one full day in the park. We hiked, we collected leaves, we explored and we were a bit chilly. It was overcast and windy most of the day. But, it has still been an excellent adventure. We had a campfire with 'smores last night. Tomorrow we will be examining some local geological features. Then we are spending the afternoon with fellow homeschoolers we rarely get to see before the long drive home.


All in all it has been a great trip. If I had tried to pack in worksheets and textbooks, we would have spent the evenings filling in the blanks. Instead we played Blokus and Pokemon together. If I had brought flashcards we could have sat on the picnic table drilling math facts instead of hiking around the lake and seeing a Blue Heron. Thanks to our flexible schedule my children learned how mine reclamation works while looking out over a pond with a muskrat lodge.


Who knew a week off could be so educational?

1 comment:

Subadra said...

Hi Michelle,
As I was reading your post, I could not help but think how much of learning was happening right in your vacation without even actively doing the learning! Sounds like a great vacation and a great plan for the rest of the school year. I love the picture in the blog. I miss the East coast(NY resident before we moved to CA).
Good luck
Subadra
who is tempted to have a mini vacation next week
http://bookslinksandmore.blogspot.com/