Thursday, February 18, 2010

Big Brother is Watching

School used student laptop webcams to spy on them at school and home.

This statement is alarming in so many ways. It is the title of an article found here.

My reason for pulling my children out of the public school system was a common one. My son was not finding challenge in his placement. Simply put...he wasn't learning. I spent time and energy trying to make it work where he was. I met with teachers. I met with administrators. I hired a lawyer. It was so much easier to homeschool. Our problem was mild. Our district did not spy on my child IN HIS OWN HOME!

I think the thing that upsets me the most about this whole situation, is the idea that the school Vice Principal that used the photo from a webcam as evidence, was trying to discipline the student for "improper behavior in his home". Since when did public schools have the right to monitor behavior in the student's homes? Did parents give them this right?

When my child went to public school, I understood that he was under their supervision while he was on their property, including the bus ride. I expected them to follow their handbook and discipline my child accordingly. But when my child got off the bus and entered my home, he was under my authority.

Some people would say the homeschoolers have too much leeway with their kids. They don't have enough supervision from the state. If my child is in my home, he's under my supervision. I have a parental responsibility to make him a productive member of society. I need to educate him so he does not become a burden on others. If I am meeting those goals, what do I lack that the public system has?

Surveillance equipment.

No comments: