Thursday, February 25, 2010

Self Motivation

Last week was the week off in our 6 week on/1 week off routine. I once again failed to spend those days making excellent plans for the next 6 weeks. In fact, I made no plans. Sunday night I shuffled some books around on the desk and said, "Hmmm. This looks good."

We had much running around to do on Monday anyway, so I knew it was pointless to plan too much. By Tuesday I did have a more concrete plan for the week. Then JT took matters into his own hands.

He decided it was about time he gets faster at multiplication facts. Multiplication was not on my plan. I walked in the room Wednesday morning and EM was holding a stop watch while JT was quickly working his way through the math problems he had on the white board. They did this themselves! It took longer than I wanted to spend on math so I felt the need to rush through some other work later that day.

Again, Thursday morning....same thing. I was a bit annoyed now. I had PLANS. But then I noticed something. JT's times were HALF what they were the day before. He had found a way to motivate himself. I didn't have anything to do with this idea. He even had his brother's total cooperation. (He loves the stop watch.)

Now I can just hope he decides he'd like to write more compositions.

No comments: