Thursday, April 15, 2010

Exercise

I just started reading an incredibly interesting book, "Brain Rules" by John Medina. He gives 12 principles to improve our 'brain health'. See more here. He makes some well-supported claims about exercise that really have me thinking. I need to get the boys more active WHILE they are learning. Part of me knows that exercise is important. But it often gets put on the back burner. My boys are very active on their own, so I generally don't feel I need to tell them they need to exercise. In the book, however, Medina argues that because aerobic exercise increases blood flow to the brain, children can learn better if they are being active. He is quick to point out that most classrooms are in no way designed to accommodate this. Guess what? My classroom can!

Now I need to find out how to make it all work. I already have an exercise ball. JT used to do most of his work sitting...well...bouncing on it. I put it away when I got tired of telling him to stop throwing it around the room. One idea I am considering is after presenting new material I could take the boys for a walk and discuss it. Maybe we could work in the garden while reviewing facts like states and capitals. I have had my eye on a recumbent exercise bike for awhile. Maybe they could be reading while riding the bike. All sorts of possibilities open up!

JT took his PSSA tests in reading and math today. He was in a small group of kids who were not doing the 'normal' 3 days of testing. He finished all 6 sections in just under 3 hours. When I asked him how it went he said, "I stood up for the whole test. The chair was not comfortable."
Maybe that bit of movement helped him work faster and smarter.

Traditional brick and mortar schools have moved away from the multiple recesses they used to have in a day. They argue the need for more time in the classroom. Maybe that time would be better spent if the kids were ready to learn. Sitting at a desk all day does not get blood flowing the way it should to provide the best learning opportunities. All of those fidgety kids know they need to get moving. Now we just have to convince the adults.


On Saturday: I just had to add something here. Tonight I read this post on exactly what I'm talking about! There's a link to an article about the school that is using exercise to help kids think better. Cool!

No comments: