Thursday, April 1, 2010

Recharging

Tonight, my husband and I got ourselves all fancied up and went out for dinner. "What does this have to do with successfully homeschooling children?" you may ask.
My answer...everything.

In order to have the patience to take on the education of my children, I believe it is essential to take care of me first. I love my children. However, if I have to spend 24 hours a day with them for the next 10 years, I might go insane. Quickly. The last 3 months have left very little time for my husband and me to spend time away from them together. Two days ago I called my oldest daughter (who is married and out of the house) and told her I NEEDED a date night. Being the wonderful offspring she is, she agreed to come over tonight.

As I plan what feels like an endless supply of activities for the boys, I sometimes forget how temporary my role as teacher will be. I will spend the next ten years (unless something drastically changes in the US system of education, HA!) teaching these boys. I will hopefully have many years after that to be me again. In the meantime, I need a few hours here and there to recharge my batteries before jumping back into the fray.

Next week is our week off in the 6 week on/1 week off cycle. This will be our last break before the end of the school year. I will be in Hershey for a 3 day PA Dept of Education Special Ed conference, paid for by a scholarship through the state for parents of children with a GIEP (Gifted Individualized Education Plan). I am looking forward to this chance to recharge and learn new things. It will give the boys some alone time with Dad. I will get to spend time with one of my homeschooling friends from across the state. When I return home, all of us will be fresh and ready for the final push to the end of another successful school year.

I am thankful that I have the opportunity to spend so much time with my children. I am also thankful that I have so many supportive friends and family members ready to give me a break when I feel worn down.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I am so there with you on this. I learned early on in this game that if I didn't take some time for me, I would be no good to anyone. Now, I purposely plan in time for Jerry and me and for me alone or with my friends. I come home a better mother every time.

Enjoy your conference. You and your family deserve that.