Thursday, April 22, 2010

Confession

I know I have ranted and raved about the annoyances of PACyber...so this may come as a shock.

We are going to stick with them another year.

It took me most of the year to realize I am willing to jump through the hoops in order to gain some benefits the cyber school has to offer. JT and I sat down together and made a pros and cons list for staying with the school.

PROS

  • virtual enrichment classes (JT's main reason for staying with the school...these classes are non-credit fun stuff. He really enjoys them, but they are mostly fluff.)
  • reimbursement for internet
  • $75 a kid, per year, for PE
  • free books and supplies
  • free computer, printer and ink
  • the school does all the reporting to the state; no portfolio to put together
  • no need to deal with our local school district (if traditional homeschooling, they would be reviewing our plan and portfolio)
CONS

  • Must take PSSAs every year from 3rd - 11th (homeschoolers are only required to test 3 times in their school career and parents can chose from a list of standardized tests)
  • can't chose our own material (we can always supplement with our own, but often feel too strapped for time to pull it off)
  • some of the curriculum we must use is inferior to what we would like to use...by a large margin
  • inept grading of tests by the cyber school staff

Once we put it all down in writing I felt like I had been whining far too much. At least, I felt that way for a couple days. Then I went in my office and saw the bookcase full of the stuff I so desperately would love to teach my kids but never feel I have enough time to fit it in the schedule. I tried to broker a deal with JT. It went like this...

me: "If you would set your mind to it, we could do all the Calvert material for the week in 1 or 2 school days. Then we'd have the other 3 days to work on all the fun stuff we have wanted to do."

JT: "Okay, no problem."

Two days later...

me: "Why don't you just work through these assignments quickly so we have time for the fun stuff this week?"

JT: "I don't feel like it."

Case closed.

No comments: