Thursday, April 29, 2010

Research Paper

This week marked the completion of all the Calvert tests we need to send in for the year. The only thing left to do before I mail them is JT's research paper for social studies. Knowing how much he enjoys the writing process, you can probably guess what this experience will be like.

First of all, do 4th graders really need to be able to put together a research paper, including a bibliography? I enjoy writing, but I despise putting together a bibliography. This assignment is no picnic for me, either.

JT had to pick a state to write about. He chose California, mostly because he loves reading about Yosemite, so he figured it would be interesting. We went to the library to pick up a few books. Then I showed him how to gather the information on note cards. We made up cards for his sources...and away he went.

He came to me today and said, "Do I really have to list which source the information on each card comes from?"
I said, "Why would you not want to list it?"
"Well, I know that Yosemite Falls is the highest waterfall in North America. But, I don't know where I learned that."

I guess mom didn't make the purpose of a research paper entirely clear. :-)

Tomorrow he will start his rough draft. I would really like to see it done before next week. I want to start our last month of schooling with nothing but "our" stuff on the schedule.

EM was free and clear from his Calvert work awhile back. He spent the week reading new books, completing some workbook activities on pronouns, contractions and verb tenses. He also has been working his way through a 2nd grade math activity book. We also did a few experiments on states of matter.

Next week, I hope to give an update on our new Lego Mindstorm activities. The boys have been slowly working on putting together the alligator. It is motion activated. They have it almost ready to go. The poor cat was the victim of its initial attack. I guess we'll have to teach them to use their super powers only for good.

For now, I am happy to see the end of the school year right around the corner. It's been tough adjusting to teaching both the boys at once. I hope to write up an evaluation of how this year went for us. I want to look at the rough spots and try to come up with solutions for next year. If we improve each year...by the time they graduate, I'll be a pro!

No comments: